Choosing your perfect smoking apparatus is a tricky process. When you walk into a headshop, it’s so easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of papers, pipes, bongs and contraptions you have to choose from.
Do you want your smoking experience to be smooth? Heavy? Do you want your apparatus to hit hard? Light? Or something in between?
It seems almost impossible to figure it out without taking each and every one of them for a test drive. Luckily, you have us to help you shed a bit of light on which of these devices is right for you.
Today’s post will focus solely on bubblers vs bongs, and which one is the perfect option for you.
What is a bubbler?
While most of you are probably familiar with the concept of a bong, many people probably have no clue what a bubbler is.
Basically, it’s a sort of a cross between a bong and a glass pipe. The size and strength of the hits from a bubbler are close to that of a bong but in a much more compact shape and size—similar to that of a pipe.
While a bong is typically round at the bottom with a long neck and bowl at the base, a bubbler is a similar shape to a pipe you might imagine Sherlock Holmes would use.
A bubbler has a small chamber near the base that’s filled with water which bubbles whenever you take a hit—hence the name.
Let’s go over some of the pros and cons of using a bubbler.
- The water inside the bubbler gives the user a much smoother hit than other glass pieces. The smoke enters the lungs seamlessly and is far less likely to cause you to cough.
- They’re smaller, and thus easier to handle. These pieces are great for anyone that wants a heavier smoking experience without having to commit to something as large and expensive as a glass bong.
- The taste of the smoke is superior to that of a dry glass piece. The water filters the smoke and gives it a better-tasting hit.
- They’re more durable. Because of their smaller size, a bubbler is much more likely to stay in one piece if you knock it over than a bong.
- Peace and quiet. A bubbler is a lot stealthier than a bong— seeing as it makes much less noise when you take a hit.
- Cleaning them is a nightmare. Bubblers can get absolutely filthy—and fast. The water needs to be changed more often and the glass gets dirty quickly. Not to mention the fact that since you can’t take them apart, it’s very difficult to keep them clean.
- There aren’t many opportunities for customization. Bowls aren’t interchangeable—so if you break it, you’re going to have to replace the entire piece.
What is a bong?
Pretty silly question to ask someone who’s shopping for one—but let’s go over some of the basics. Unlike bubblers, a bong is a vertical piece that’s usually much bigger than a bubbler.
You have to fill it with more water, is more intricate and is generally considered to be a step up from pipes or bubblers. Here’s a quick look at some of the detriments and benefits of a bong.
- Bigger, badder hits. Since bongs are so much bigger than bubblers, the potential for bigger hits is much higher. This will allow you to achieve better and longer-lasting highs than you’d get from a bubbler.
- Bigger bowls mean more love to share. Bongs are better for sharing in big groups and parties.
- They’re super easy to clean. Bongs are straight forward; the stem and bowl are both removable making it easier to soak in your preferred cleaning solution.
- The customization is endless. Not only can you mix and match different pieces to create the perfect bong, but they also come in so many different varieties, sizes and shapes. Not to mention the fact that you can go from incredibly simple to some of the most intricate glass pieces imaginable.
- They’re extremely delicate. Unfortunately, you have to be very careful with your bong. The bigger it is, the more careful you have to be. Dropping it a single time could result in a very expensive piece shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces.
- There’s more upkeep. Stems and bowls break all the time. Be cautious and know that there might be more money to spend somewhere down the line.
- They’re difficult to store. Because they’re so bulky and oddly shaped, there are not so many convenient places to store your bong. So, if you decide to buy one, you’d better be okay with leaving it out in the open.
There you have it, now you have all the information you’ll need to make an informed decision about which piece is right for you.