Do you find cannabis edibles more to your taste than smokables?
Making your cannabis oil and cannabutter could help develop the variety of your edibles recipes. This is because cannabutter and oil are widely used base ingredients in many cannabis edibles including biscuits, cakes, chocolate, salads and much more.
Learning to make your cannabutter and cannabis-infused oil will also save you a good amount of dollars. To enjoy your homemade products safely, you can always find more information on safe cannabis use if you have a Florida medical card here.
How do you make these two cannabis products?
This is similar to making other herb butter.
The ingredients needed are:
- 1 ounce of decarboxylated ground cannabis
- 1 cup of water
- 1 pound of the usual dairy butter
- Decarboxylate your cannabis buds. To learn more about what decarboxylation is and how you can do it visit our post on cannabis decarboxylation here.
- Heat water in a pan but avoid bringing it to a boil.
- Add butter to the hot water and let it melt fully.
- Add your decarboxylated ground cannabis to the pan and stir thoroughly until the cannabis is fully immersed and distributed.
- Simmer it on low heat for about 3 to 4 hours while stirring occasionally.
- Avoid bringing the mixture to boiling point.
- Remove the pan from the heat source and let it cool down.
- Strain your cannabutter into a glass container using a fine cheesecloth.
- Store it in the fridge and remove any excess water before use.
You will need:
- 15 grams of high-quality ground cannabis
- 1 cup of your preferred oil
- Decarboxylating cannabis. This process makes the cannabis more potent by converting THCa to THC. You bake the cannabis in a tightly-sealed baking dish at 215°F for 30 minutes. Sealing prevents the vapors from escaping. Remove the dish and let it cool before unsettling.
- Pour oil over your decarboxylated cannabis and stir thoroughly until the oil is evenly absorbed.
- Seal the dish once more and return it to the oven heating again at 215°F for one and a half hours. If you are heating over an open fire, ensure the mixture does not boil.
- Shake the pan once or twice during the cooking to agitate the mixture.
- Remove the dish and let it cool before unsettling.
- Strain the mixture using a double layer of fine cheesecloth or linen to separate the plant matter and the liquid.
- Squeeze the remaining oil from the sieve.
Use cannabutter and cannabis-infused oil carefully because of the enhanced potency. Edibles also take some time to ‘hit’ which can lull you into consuming more than you need.
Use cannabutter and oil in your favourite recipes and enjoy safely!