Christmas is the best time of the year for many families to gather, dine, and enjoy each other’s company. And of course, the most anticipated part of any Christmas gathering is the Christmas table. It is also a common tradition to prepare or serve the sumptuous Christmas Fruitcake, as it completes any Christmas feast. Well, there are two reasons to have a Christmas Fruitcake this time around; first, obviously, it’s Christmas and second, it’s National Fruitcake Day on the 27th.
The Christmas Fruitcake can be prepared in a lot of ways but for Cannabis lovers, nothing could be better than a Cannabis- infused Christmas Fruitcake. Here at Greendorphin, we will make your holidays even better by sharing with you some Cannabis-infused Christmas recipes.
But before we get into the baking, let’s take a little trip back in the days of our fruitcake-lovin’ ancestors first.
A trip back to the history of the fruitcake
The creation of the fruitcake can be traced back in the Middle Ages. Romans were believed as the recipients of the earliest recipes of the fruitcake. The earliest form of the fruitcake includes pomegranate seeds, raisins and pine nuts mixed into mashed barley. While in the later period, spices, honey, and dried fruits were added in the dough.
The discovery of sugar in American Colonies allowed bakers in the 16th century to preserve fruits and make candied fruits. Fruitcakes soon became a popular treat that spread throughout nations due to its affordability and long shelf life. Later versions of traditional fruitcakes were infused with alcohol and stored in brandy soaked linens, but recipes vary from country to country. This sweet treat then became a popular dish to prepare early in the year and served during Christmas, since the longer it stays, the better it tastes.
The key ingredient to all Cannabis baked goodies
Cannabis-infused goodies require the star ingredient– the Cannabutter. Like every baked product, it has butter as its main ingredient. The only difference is that it contains cannabis and oozing with THC-rich flavor.
There are available ready-made Cannabutter you can score in specialty cannabis shops and even online, but you can also make your own at home. If you opt to prepare your own cannabutter for your Cannabis Christmas fruitcake, you need to decarboxylate or extract the cannabis in order to fully activate the THC.
There are also two ways to prepare the cannabutter; first is the ‘water method’, second, is through ‘without water method’. If you want your cannabutter to be really potent, do the ‘without water method’. You can also add 1-2 drops of Cannabis tincture in your cannabutter.
Baking is always fun when you do it in scratch. Prepare your own cannabutter for your Christmas fruitcake by following this simple recipe.
Green D’s Heavenly Cannabis Christmas Fruitcake
The traditional Christmas fruitcake has two main ingredients; rum and butter. Since we are doing a Cannabis-infused Christmas fruitcake, we will add a little canna twist by adding cannabutter.
Here at Green D, we will share with our very own Cannabis- infused Christmas Fruitcake recipe which will melt away all your Christmas blues. See recipe below:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1/8 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/8 cup chopped dried raisins
- 1/4 cup dried currants or dates
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup cannabutter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons skimmed milk
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup dark rum (divided)
- Soak dried cherries, raisins, cranberries, and currants or dates in 1/4 cup rum overnight. Store in an airtight seal at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Brush some cannabutter into a 6×3-inch round pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cannabutter and brown sugar until fluffy, then beat in the large egg. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; mix into the creamed cannabutter mixture and sugar in three batches. Pour in, alternating molasses and milk. Add and stir in the soaked mixed fruits and chopped almonds. Scrape the batter mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then pour in tablespoons rum all over the cake.
- Cut a piece parchment paper and cheesecloth. Make sure each is large enough to wrap around the cake. Dampen the cheesecloth in 1 tablespoon rum, unmold cake onto it. Sprinkle the top and sides of the fruitcake with the remaining rum. Wrap the cheesecloth and parchment paper. Place it in an airtight storage ware.
Age your Cannabis Christmas Fruitcake for perfection
The Cannabis fruitcake can be consumed right away or can be aged for better taste. Imagine the rich flavor of preserved fruits in wine, infused with cannabis exploding in your mouth! You can even have this treat until next year to consume or give out as a present to family and friends. If you are to store it longer, douse with rum every 10 weeks of storage.
But of course, every good stuff should be consumed in moderation. Since it has some alcohol content laced with THC, be cautious enough to know how much you can take in. With those things in mind, you can merrily have a heavenly bite of the Cannabis Christmas Fruitcake!